[thelist] Automatic copy to Web host

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Mar 17 10:16:48 CST 2004

Mark Gillingham wrote:

> I would use rsync if I could. Our host does not allow a shell and does
> not supply rsync or httrack. I think the only thing to do is script ftp
> to check the date of each file in a local directory tree (where the
> updated site resides) and send any files to the host that are newer. I'm
> looking for a script to do just that since it would take me a long time
> to muddle through it myself.

Ask and ye shall recieve :-)

   <ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/old-sunsite/mirror/>

'mirror' is a Perl implementation to do exactly what it sounds like.
It should be pretty solid -- I first used it in 1994 (to replicate
the World Cup servers, and to automate the staging->public uploads
at Sun, among other things).  :-)

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.