[thelist] ASP: Jump to specific record in recordset

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Mar 17 19:04:40 CST 2004

Hi,

I would wager that the way you are currently doing it is probably slower
than using a couple of queries.

What do you think happens when you use something like .Move()? Have you put
a trace on the network and seen what happens? If you're using a static
cursor, you end up putting a lot more load on the DB server, and you congest
the network as well, by having to marshall lots of calls for additional
data.

Personally, I have never seen, in all the years that I've worked with ADO, a
good reason to use .Move() or .Filter() in the way you are describing. The
only time I can see it being of any use is an application where the data
being manipulated is disconnected from the underlying data source.

The fact that you think that .Move() involves using the webserver's
processing power, rather than the DB server's processing power indicates
that you might not be 100% across what you're using. I'd recommend that you
post some more details abou what you're doing (e.g. some table schemas, and
your SQL query) and see if we can come up with a better way of doing this.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Ken Kogler" <gsls at kenkogler.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] ASP: Jump to specific record in recordset

: > Why aren't you using SQL to just bring back the record you want,
: > rather than having the database stream back 94 unnecessary records?
:
: My db server is slow; my webserver is fast.
:
: I'm never bringing back more than 20 records.
:
: This is a three-table join which brings back <20 rows
: and 10 columns in one lump sum. It's scope is already
: tightly defined and limited quite a bit in the SQL, and the
: only other way to accomplish exactly what I'm
: after here is to use multiple queries.
:
: I'd rather not call 2 or 3 separate queries per page when
: I can bring back one and filter it on the webserver before
: sending it to the client.