[thelist] Browser compliance

Diane Soini diane at dianesoini.com
Wed Mar 24 08:46:46 CST 2004

I usually (at work) start with IE6 so that if the boss wants to see
some progress he'll see it looking ok in his browser. But once there is
decent progress, I start making sure all is well in Mozilla, keeping as
many as 3 different browsers going and checking each one simultaneously.

I usually don't bother with the Homesite browser view because I never
fail to hit that button when I've got a css or js file open. This
causes either a download dialog to come up or opens another program or
something annoying (sure, I could make some more settings adjustments
but I'm lazy.)

And I never use IE-only code.

The exception is working on domino applications, which I'm going to ask
a question about next.

Diane

On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 04:00 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

>> 	Is it better to code, then check, code some more, then check again,
>> 	using a much more standards-compliant browser like Mozilla, or go
>> 	with ie, then tweak for the rest?
>
> Martin,
>
> I've had the best luck when I code to IE 6.0 in standards mode first,
> then
> tweak for Mozilla/Firefox, then tweak for Opera, and then lastly tweak
> for
> IE 5/5.5.  I aim for IE 6 first for two reasons: 1. Market
> penetration--most
> of the visitors will be using it, 2. It's standard compliance isn't
> THAT BAD
> in comparison to IE 5/5.5.
>
> If I'm careful how I embed divs to create borders, padding, and
> margins,
> then I OFTEN find no tweaking is even necessary for IE 5/5.5.  I
> purposely
> try to avoid "features" that I know IE doesn't display well.

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown