[thelist] Netscape, Flash and query strings

joe stowaway at uklinux.net
Tue Mar 30 10:42:17 CST 2004

Hi folks

I wonder if anyone has experience of this problem:  I'm trying to pass a
variable to a Flash movie using a query string as follows:

<object id="flashbanner" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="500" height="100">
	<param name="movie" value="flash/header.swf?user=joe" />
	<param name="quality" value="high" />

	document.write('<'+'embed src="flash/header.swf?user=joe" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="100"></'+'embed>');
	</script>
</object>

The flash movie then loads up various other swfs depending on the user's
settings.  Unfortunately, NN4 isn't having it at all.  It's fine in IE
and Mozilla.  I can't show a URL because it's inside a members area.
Just wondered if anyone has any tips for NN4's handling of this issue or
if there's an error in my code I can't see.  .

In return, I thought I'd share something I ran into recently

<tip author="joe" subject="checking mime types">

If you're trying to validate the mime-type of file uploads bear in mind
that different browsers may send different headers.  If you're checking
jpegs, check for image/jpeg, image/pjpeg and possibly even
image/x-jpeg.  Checking for only one may exclude valid files sent by
browsers you're not testing on.

</tip>

Joe