[thelist] Gif color verses html color. Is it the same?

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Thu Apr 1 18:29:06 CST 2004

adrian at clearspanmedia.com 02/04/2004 11:11:35 >
> Browsers and operating systems render a lot of colors differently.

Yes, but nowadays, I've only noticed shifts in colour between GIFs and HTML on older browsers on older monitors.

> can use the Web Safe pallet to get the colors to match. It's a set of
> 216 colors that seemlesly match between images, html, flash and other
> things in a browser.

No, you can't, the web safe colour palette is dead. There is a "totally safe palette" which only consists of 22 colours.
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html
http://www.evolt.org/article/Quick_Color_Class/22/49204/index.html

It is pointless to use the web safe colour palette because it doesn't work on monitors with "thousands of colours" - it is only relevant for monitors with only 256 colours which is hardly any nowadays. It is pointless to use colours which will not break on the less than 5% of monitors with only 256 colours, but which will break on the say 20-30% of monitors with thousands of colours. The web safe palette is obviously completely irrelevant for the majority of monitors which have "millions of colours".

> Most graphics programs, including Photoshop and Fireworks, give you the
> websafe colors. The closest safe color to the one you want is: #66CC66

Yes, and why they continue to do this (by default) is a mystery.

sorry I can't find any other URLs on this subject at the moment.

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
Unitec New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and complex