[thelist] Problem with unwanted padding in IE/PC

erniegerdie at fastmail.fm erniegerdie at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 1 19:23:12 CST 2004

To be honest I don't quite understand what you mean about the
padding-bottom being a problem.

The only thing I can think of is that navigation looks like its being
pushed up in IE. However, this is not the case, its actually being pushed
down in Firebird because of margin-top styling on the <h2> tag that your
using.

Try getting setting the margin to 0 on the the <h2> tag:
#extraNav h2 { font-size: 130%; color: #c00; margin:0px;}

then position the menu accordingly.

> I'd REALLY appreciate any help.  The friend I'm building this site for
> is getting a little frustrated as is starting to wonder why he decided
> to go the CSS route.  I'm getting desperate!

Your probably running into problems, because you have got far too much
css code here than you actually need. For example, here is some code
begging to be changed:

#extraNav li a {
	margin: 0;
	padding: .25em;
	color: #000;
	text-decoration: none;
	display: block;
	border: 0;
	width: 100%;
	border-top: 1px solid red;}

#extraNav li.first a{
	display: block;
	border-top: 1px solid #000;}

Hers the slimfast version:
/*All your <a> tags seem the common style, the code below sets this as
default for all <a> tags unless you say so*/
a { color: #000; text-decoration: none;} /*not there is also a:hover,
a:visited, blah blah*/

/*Let your <li> tags do the work instead of digging deeper and styling
the <a> tags*/
#extraNav ul li { margin: 0px; border-top: 1px solid red; padding: 5px
5px 5px 0px;}
#extraNav li.first {border-top: 1px solid #000;}

mike
www.thebasement.madsims.net

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:42:03 -0800, "Aaron Cole" <aaron at aaroncole.com>
said:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm getting some unwanted padding-bottom in a navigation list when
> viewed in IE/PC.  I've tried adding "padding:0 and margin:0 to the li
> rule, but haven't had any luck.
<snip>

                          unladen european swallow