[thelist] Very strange flash banner behavior on high profile site - security issue?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 15:11:40 CST 2004

Hi folks,

I just had the oddest thing happen. I went over to Slashdot to see
what was what. As you may know they have banner ads at the top of
their pages. I was browing in FireFox. In a separate browser (NS7) I
had my company's web site open, which has a Flash banner.

When I open slashdot's page, what do I see up top of THEIR page but
OUR banner! I'm thinking how in the world can this be? I figured it
was some kind of wierd accident and re-load - but no avail. It's
always there. I close NS7 - still there. I open IE - its in IE too!
Here's a screen shot:

http://www.pixelmech.com/review/funkySlash.gif

NOTE: This is April 2nd - I'm not joking and this is NOT a PS mock.

Some ad company serves up the banner, but how can it possible mistake
ours for thiers? Is it possible they have identical file names? Seems
far fetched- but I cannot imagine HOW this would happen. Seems like
slashdot nor our company would be too happy about if it was anything
other than a localized occurance (which it MUST be) but still - any
ideas on what's what?

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.DMXzone.com/ - JavaScript Author
http://SparklesParties.com - Princess parties for little girls!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

"Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem."