[thelist] Apache and PHP on Win XP: localhost not working

Richard Davey rich at launchcode.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 04:52:34 CDT 2004

Hello PeterV,

P> Thanks! I've been stuck on this for weeks. I still doesn't work though:
P> Apache restarts fine, I get a cannot find server error when trying to
P> access http://127.0.0.1, and get redirected to a search page when trying
P> to access http://taxomita.dev Any help would be welcome!!

P> <VirtualHost *>
P>     ServerAdmin peter at poorbuthappy.com
P>     DocumentRoot "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My
P> Documents\websites\live #websites\taxomita.com\htdocs_live"
P>     ServerName taxomita.dev
P>     ErrorLog logs/tgc_error
P>     CustomLog logs/tgc_access common
P> </VirtualHost>

Personally I've never had much like with the DocumentRoot in that
format, try this instead:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin peter at poorbuthappy.com
    DocumentRoot C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My
    Documents/websites/live #websites/taxomita.com/htdocs_live
    ServerName taxomita.dev
    ErrorLog logs/error
    CustomLog logs/access common
</VirtualHost>

Make sure the DocumentRoot is all one line (it might have wrapped in
the email). Also - try a more simple folder just to get started, i.e.
C:/testsite and throw a simple page in there.

Finally - how are you running Apache? via a service or by starting it
and having it run in a small window? If so - what does it report back
when you try and start it in this manner? It SHOULD sit there with
"Apache/1.3.?? (Win32) PHP/4.3.? running..." but if it doesn't, it
hasn't managed to start properly.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey