[thelist] Resolved: IE and the NOSCRIPT tag

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Fri Apr 9 10:02:06 CDT 2004

Tanner Burson wrote:

>> In IE the following code
>>
>> <snip>
>> <noscript><input type="text" name="something" value="hi"
>> /></noscript> </snip>
>>
>> Displays the text box regardless of whether javascript is enabled or
>> disabled.  It seems to do this with most any element other than
>> straight text.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with this or have any ideas?
>
> It turns out the issue is regarding IE and multiple <noscript> tags.
> Mozilla/Netscape will allow multiple instances of the <noscript> tag
> without issue.  IE on the other hand only evaluates the last one in
> the document, and treats the others as simply a container.

    My testing in IE 5.5 and IE 6 shows otherwise: multiple noscript
elements work as expected, hiding all content contained within them when
scripting is enabled, whether using an HTML or XHTML doctype declaration.
You've still got something else going on in your page -- perhaps some broken
X/HTML? Try validating your page [1] to see what shows up.

1. http://validator.w3.org/

James Aylard