[thelist] Theory Question: Client Side or Server Side

Jonathan j at firebright.com
Sat Apr 10 01:49:36 CDT 2004

> You're assuming Javascript is always present and enabled for
> that site, and often it is not.

I couldn't agree more with Shawn.  It's a rule for development in our shop
that Javascript is never used for core functionality, as all web
applications should fail gracefully.  Besides, if someone went to all the
trouble to fill out that monster of an order form, I think they'll wait 5-6
seconds while it reloads if there are errors, and with server side scripting
you could easily highlight the elements that fail validation without having
to resort to scripting tricks.

It's one thing if you don't get confirmation on a delete -- that's your
choice to disable it -- but it will still work.  It's quite another when the
site won't work, and you can't place an order, because of a scripting error
on your particular browser or because you surf with javascript off.

My 2c.

Jonathan