[thelist] ASP: 2 different charsets on same page?

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Wed Apr 14 06:01:16 CDT 2004

Sam Carter <scforum at iness.com> wrote:

> I ended up writing our pages in UTF-8 which solved the problem and met our
> needs.

Yep. This is generally the best approach.

 > I was left wondering what benefit Shift-JIS brings that UTF-8 does not?

On the web, nothing. Shift-JIS is a nasty legacy encoding that should
die ASAP.

Unfortunately, there are still some Japanese mail services (we noticed
Yahoo! Mail in particular) that cannot display mail sent in UTF-8. If
you have your web system send Unicode mails automatically, some Japanese
readers will just get gibberish. Shift-JIS and ISO-2022 are more widely
supported in mail, for now.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com