[thelist] Serious antispam measures (was: Is this real?)

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Sat Apr 17 03:38:37 CDT 2004

>> if you must give your address to Microsoft, give
>> 'microsoft at yourdomain.com'
>> if you post to mailing list called 'foo', do it with address
>> 'foo at yourdomain.com'
>> ...etc...

> Only problem with theses sorts of things is if someone has put your good
> email in their address book, your email is pretty much up for grabs. All
> it takes is a virus. Or even less. I get the most spam from an email
> address I have never exposed and that is only a few months old. Putting
> it in the From field was enough.

Damn, you're right...

Well, if the problem gets this serious, then there is a need for serious
measures. You could always quit using email altogether, but I don't find
this as a solution, but resignment.

A solution (albeit laborous one) would be to every day accept only mails
adressed to:
yyyymmdd at yourdomain.com, where yyyymmdd is the current date (and maybe
accept also the previous and next dates too, because of time zone
differences).

If you still get spam, the you can require the date to be followed by
accepted name: you have a friend called John, and today he must use
address 20040417john at yourdomain.com.

Easier solution would be to require something in the subject or body of
the email - senders email address would be good: john at hisdomain.com must
include 'john at hisdomain.com' in the subject line. Or give your friends
each a password that they must have in the first line of the message
body. This is actually very good option, as it can be used even without
your own domain name.

How do these sound to you?

.kasimir