[thelist] Cold Fusion Application Config Files

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Mon Apr 19 07:43:52 CDT 2004

Hi folks;

I'm currently engaged in putting together a set of RSS feeds running from
our database. I'd like to hand control of these over to Marketing when I'm
done developing them, and with that end in mind, I'm building a "control
panel" application in Cold Fusion. One of the uses I envision for this is
for Marketing to be able to build a new feed, picking and choosing
categories of data from the database, and adding messages as items in that
feed as they need to.

For this, I'd like to maintain a configuration file for each such feed. It
would be handy were all the configs for all such feeds to be in one file -
I don't expect more than a dozen such feeds to exist at any given time -
but I can deal with separate files, too. Ideally, I'd like these files to
be fairly human readable, too, in the same manner as most unix .conf files,
for instance.

So is there a good or even an ideal way to set up the writing and reading
of such files, a particular format that would be useful, or the like?

Writing them won't really be a problem, but I'd like the reading mechanism
to be fairly simple. A function that just reads the file into an array, for
instance, and holds it ready for use, seems like it would be ideal.

Or would I be better to hold all this information in a database table, and
get to it that way?

Any ideas?

Drew.