[thelist] Serious antispam measures

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Mon Apr 19 15:03:33 CDT 2004

Thank you Kelly!

> If you are unfamilliar with Bayesian mail filters, I suggest this
 > visionary article on the topic:
 > http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html

I was unfamiliar with BMFs, and the article indeed was a great read!
Only after reading this I found out that I'm actually using one myself
with Thunderbird :-)

 > I don't believe in any solution that makes life harder for legitimate
 > emailers.

I did as I thought there was sometimes no real alternative, but now I
know there is, and now I couldn't agree more with you.

And for me here's a deeper lesson than just controlling spam: I was
trying to find a logically solid way, but while that is possible, it has
too high of a price. But statistical approach gives almost (99.95% or
more) equally good results without the price. I had forgotten that
especially at our times the world can not (or should not) be forced to
rigid patterns and deterministic sequences - it will only blind your
eyes and give you a serious headache.

thanks,
.k