[thelist] Suckerfish Dropdown Menus - How do they work?

Simon Perry thelist at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 06:35:40 CDT 2004

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk wrote:

>Thanks, Simon. Unfortunately I can't get anything onto an external website
>but here's the code I have cobbled together so far (see below). It's nothing
>to do with Suckerfish any more, but still!
>
>It's designed to have four overlapping layers, containing the different
>submenus, which are made visible/invisible when the user hovers over the
>relevant image.
>
>The two issues I still have are:
>
>1. How do I get the submenus to appear at exactly the same position, top and
>left?

absolute positioning

>2. How can I replace my ugly table with css layout?

Use a nested list

>Thanks in advance for all help offered.
>
>David.
>
>Code:

David,

I have had a go[0] at recreating your original concept[1] using css and
javascript, no tables. I have kept things as simple and semantic as
possible, the html is a single containing div and a nested list, while
also making sure that the page degrades gracefully if CSS and/or
JavaScript are not supported. Of course if you wanted rounded corners or
any other whistles and bells then some additional markup would be
required. The CSS and JavaScript are in the source for ease of viewing.

I have tested in WinXP IE 5, 5.5, 6, Opera and FireFox but I would be
interested to know how Mac browsers fare?

Simon

[0] http://www.si-designs.co.uk/scratch/landy.html
[1] http://www.si-designs.co.uk/scratch/landy-original.html