[thelist] Flash Action Script question

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 22:04:48 CDT 2004

I'm now supposed to be the Flash expert at work, even though I'm a
total rank amateur and not a good one. So pardon me if my question is
stupid. (I've got Flash MX 2004.)

I'm very frustrated trying to use getURL() or or any of the various
load() methods to pass a query string to a static web page. It seems
that it can't really be done. What I would like to do is something like
this:
getURL('index.html?foo=bar','_self')
leaving out the third argument, which is "GET" or "POST".
Unfortunately, when doing so, Flash cuts off the query string and
doesn't pass the variables.

What Flash wants is for me to use the third argument, "GET", to pass a
query string. But when I do that, it passes not only foo=bar, but also
the entire XML document I've loaded plus all the other various
variables I've set along the way. How silly!

Is there any way at all to pass only those variables in the query
string that I want to pass? It must be a query string, and I cannot use
server technologies like php. I want to pass the query string to a
static html page for javascript.

It seems like such an oversight that Flash won't let me send a specific
query string. I just wonder if I've missed something somewhere.

Diane

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown