[thelist] [OT] Ultra ATA nightmare

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Wed Apr 21 07:06:16 CDT 2004

Joshua Olson wrote:
> Morning!
>
> This is way OT, but I swear I'll make it up.
>
> A client of mine just bought a 160GB Barracuda drive (ultra ATA/100) and
> asked me to replace their existing 20GB drive.  No problem, right?  Well,
> not so easy it turns out.
>
> The drive formats great, and I can copy the entire contents of their
> existing drive to it using the utilities that come with the disk, EXCEPT for
> two files... the two NT loader files.  The log file simply showed an error
> saying that it cannot put them onto the drive.  Interesting...
>
> I tried the automated "make the new drive a boot disk" after a reformat, and
> it hung up...
>
> Tried installing 2000 from the CD after a reformat and it hung up at the
> same spot... it formatted but then just stalled at 100%.
>
> My best guess is that the drive simply won't let me write the boot files to
> the disk for some lame reason!  I'm in a crunch now as the client is getting
> ready to begin their work day.  Anybody have any idea what may be going on
> here?
>
> Thanks (big time) in advance.
>
> <><><><><><><><><><>
> Joshua Olson
> Web Application Engineer
> WAE Tech Inc.
> http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/
> 706.210.0168

Is it at all possible that the bios is not compatable with the hdd?

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/bioslimit_338.html

Is it an 80 pin cable?

What program did you use to copy the old files onto the new one?  Was it
a drive imaging / duplicating program?

These may sound lke obvious / stupid questions, but are a good starting
point.

note: I have a bias against seagate, so it may taint my responses.
--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au