[thelist] [Photoshop] text wrap error

Tim Burgan email at timburgan.com
Thu Apr 22 22:02:38 CDT 2004

Hi Paul,

>     Paul Bennett wrote:
>
>     Hi evolters - quick question - (Photoshop 5.5 installed on Win2k.)
>     When adding text, the usual text entry box appears and I can add
>     and format text fine, the problem is that when hitting 'enter' to
>     force a line break, the text wraps onto the _same_ line. This
>     means I see a jumble of text behind the first line. If I want to
>     simulate a line break I have to press enter multiple times, each
>     time forcing the text down 1 pixel. Yes this gets annoying and
>     makes editing text for layout mockups almost physically painful
>     (well, at least emotionally).
>
>     I have googled with no success, and searched the adobe site - has
>     anyone had this before? Can it be fixed?

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 on XP, but I think it's the same.

It sounds like you need to change the "leading" setting for your lines.

In your CHARACTER toolbox, to the right of the 'text size' is the
'leading setting'. This little icon has two A's on top of each other.
Change that to either AUTO or to your desired setting. You will need to
have all of your text selected for this to work also.

I hope this helps.

Tim Burgan
timburgan.com