[thelist] semantic urls and separators do_this.or.do.that ?

Scott Blanchard octigonuser at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 23 19:01:02 CDT 2004

My team is currently looking at how our CMS produces links and urls. Since
the upcoming release will be championing web standards as a virtue, we are
committed to producing hackable, practical, usable URLS, instead of the
current default.aspx?id=x format.

One question has emerged however, that I would like to pose. For pages whose
names contain more than one word such as "About Us" for example, has there
emerged an accepted standard for url concatenating?

for example, the url could read...

www.site.com/?id=23/about_us/child_of_about_us/

OR

www.site.com/?id=23/about.us/child.of.about.us/

OR even

www.site.com/?id=23/aboutus/childofaboutus/

Of course, all of this is to avoid url encoding the raw string which would
result in this ugliness:

www.site.com/?id=23/about%20us/child%20of%20about%20us/

and ultimately to eliminate this...

www.site.com/default.aspx?id=23