[thelist] Replacement for Dreamweaver

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 27 09:18:44 CDT 2004

I'm about to either throw my computer (Mac) out the window or march
down and buy a new one (they make them with 1.33mhz processors for less
than I paid for this 500mhz one). But maybe I should save money and try
something else first.

I use Dreamweaver, but only for the Site Files view for FTP-ing files.
I like having the visual ability to see the files on both the local and
remote sides. The problem is, when I switch back and forth between
applications I often must wait staring at that silly spinning beachball
for what seems like minutes. Or, if there is an error FTP-ing files I
have to wait what seems like minutes just to get the error message to
go away. I can go in the kitchen and get coffee while this is going on.

I know that built in ftp with Terminal is a fine solution, but I find
it a little inconvenient trying to remember where I am in the directory
tree all the time. It's too easy for me to make a mistake and upload a
file to the wrong place.

Are there any free ftp programs I could use instead that are similar to
the Dreamweaver interface that you recommend? I also don't much care
for BBEdit's ftp because I can't just select a multitude of files and
upload them with a single click, or at least I have never figured out
how to do that.

Diane