[thelist] Fluid CSS layout: IE6 issues

Chris Rosser chris at bluefuton.com
Thu Apr 29 08:55:22 CDT 2004

I'm currently trying to achieve a fluid CSS layout for an intranet
contacts manager I'm working on, but am experiencing a few browser issues.
The idea is to have a screen full of tiled 'business cards', with a panel
on the right containing search options:

http://bluefuton.com/evolt/contacts/

The business cards are floated left, so that the number of cards in one
'row' adjusts according to screen res and window width. The right panel is
absolutely positioned to the right and should not overlap any business
cards. It's valid XHTML 1.0 Strict and CSS2, and works as desired in
Mozilla Firefox 0.8. However, in IE6, there are two major issues:

(1) The right panel overlaps the business cards
(2) Despite the business cards filling more than the available vertical
screen area, the vertical scrollbar remains greyed out

You can see both these of issues in this screenshot:

http://bluefuton.com/evolt/contacts/contacts_ie6.png

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Chris