[thelist] Is flash always bad [was: google and other search engines]

Geoff Sheridan evolt at premonition.co.uk
Mon May 10 07:31:03 CDT 2004

At 6:40 am -0500 10/5/04, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>I don't mind using a GUI, but I do very much mind being *forced* into
>using a GUI when there are reasonable CLI/text mode tools that I would
>prefer to use. I'd much rather type in something like:
>
>for a in *; do mv $a `echo $a|sed -e 's/__/_/g'`; done
>
>than click on one icon, cursor over, hit "delete" for each excess
>underscore, hit enter, then do the same for the next 100 files. For,
>say, 5 files, the GUI might be a viable option, but for 100 files, it
>clearly isn't.

You assume an inadequate GUI. I run a GUI app to batch rename files
(Mac OSX, Renamer4Mac) and use a GUI app (BBEdit) to make batch file
grep edits.

It's nice to select the files using a GUI and build the queries in an
interactive way. And it's easier for the vast majority of people, to
whom
"for a in *; do mv $a `echo $a|sed -e 's/__/_/g'`;"
might as well be in Sanskrit!
Why should I learn the highly complex SED just to rename some files?

Geoff