[thelist] Outlook feature that can bite back

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon May 10 10:26:28 CDT 2004

Michael Pemberton asked:

>>Am I correct that there is a feature that allows you to modify the
>>contents of an email that you have received?  If so, is it a common
>>practise to use this feature?

Hi Michael,

Yep - you can make changes to inbound email in Outlook.

I use it in two ways:

(1) When folks send me 5Mb attachments I generally save those off to a
local hard drive, delete them from the incoming email, and then add a
little note like "<saved to disk in the May 10 - project beta folder>"
into the original mail.  Just a housekeeping measure that keeps my
Outlook storage to less stratospheric levels.

(2) Everybody has different ways to archive their email. One technique
I use is to prepend a sequence number to the subject line.  [When you
'cut' email from Outlook and 'paste' it into a drive directory you
get a date/time stamp from the time you pasted to the directory - that
means that you can lose the 'sequential' nature of a series of emails.]
By prepending numbers I retain that 'sequential' element.

This also lets me archive an entire project, including all of the emails,
to a CD-R once I'm done with it. That can come in handy for future
reference.

So, if this was an email I intended to archive I might change the title
from "RE: [thelist] Outlook feature that can bite back" to something
like "1207  RE: [thelist] Outlook feature that can bite back".

HTH,

RonL.