[thelist] Was I gotta vent, but now is a question of how to work with non-web people who have to create web content

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Tue May 11 06:31:34 CDT 2004

Diana Soini said:

> This is the same issue that has prevented me from doing any freelance
> work. How do you create good web design and then expect
> non-web people to be able to "take it from here"?

I don't understand why it keeps you from doing freelance work. This is
the outlet that provides me with the greater freedom to do things
however I want, because I'm in charge of the project.

> I would love to be able to collaborate with people who are better
> graphic designers or content writers than me, but how do you do that
> when they don't understand how web sites work, or how html and css
> works, and don't want to turn over control to anybody else?

The way I see it, you can't do anything about the control. That's just a
facet of every job. But that doesn't mean that you yourself have to
produce sloppy markup and bloated Web pages.

> Believe it
> or not, there are a heck of a lot of people out there who
> have to make
> web content, who use Dreamweaver, but cannot possibly follow web
> standards, or even common web design practices and
> principles, because
> they can't see exactly what the final product looks like in the
> Dreamweaver interface.

Not hard to believe at all. In fact, I would say that the majority of
people who build Web sites and Web applications use some type of a
WYSIWYG to write code.

> Any ideas how I can solve this problem? What happens when you
> create a
> web design project using advanced CSS or other web design techniques
> and then deliver it to somebody who doesn't understand how it works?

But is it a problem? Does this person care how it works? Does this
person want to know /how/ it works? I suggest taking the time to talk
about the benefits of your approach, if you haven't already. Just keep
in mind that you may not get it your way. Look for some type of a
compromise that will make your life easier (like formatting with a
the whole battle at once. Look for small victories and keep chipping
away:)