[thelist] Was I gotta vent, but now is a question of how to work

Nancy Johnson njohnson at wheelock.edu
Tue May 11 14:51:14 CDT 2004

I find it an ongoing problem, as I am the only web person in a small
college environment, and departments are in control of their web pages.
Not only that we are using FrontPage (not my choice) to update content.
I tell them to keep the content short when they write new content. I've
worked hard to create relationships with individuals responsible for
updating content, so they will call me with problems. I learn their
strengths and weaknesses and so I can keep tabs on certain (at risk)
pages and fix the errors.  Most will call me with problems.  For some of
our "just don't get it" publishers, I just put the content in a SQL
Database and build a simple add, update, and delete' script which
totally separates form from content.

For my freelance work, I have done everything from create a very simple
add update script to design basic html pages that are very simple. I
again also try to get a feel for the client's strengths and weaknesses,
as well as how and how often they are going to update content and I
design for maintenance.

Nancy Johnson