[thelist] Scrolling Marquee

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Thu May 13 08:59:39 CDT 2004

On 13 May 2004, at 14:39, Rob Smith wrote:
> The <marquee></marquee> tags are still ok to use right? They're not
> depreciated by something else?

They are non-standard and always have been. To be depreciated (in the
w3c sense of the term), they have to be part of a standard, and they
aren't. They are worse then depreciated.

The correct way to implement scrolling text is using JavaScript, but
I'd serious reconsider it entirely.

Tickers were created to solve a problem:

* Lots of information
* A small space
* Lots of people viewing non-interactively

The web doesn't have this problem:

* Browser windows are generally quite large
* Pages are generally viewed by a single people who can use scroll bars
to move content ON DEMAND.

Tickers have nasty side effects:
* They move too quickly
* They move too slowly
* When the user is trying to look at something else, the motion in
peripheral vision grabs the attention (this used to save lives, but we
aren't being hunted by bears when we are reading webpages)

<marquee> is "deprecated" in favour of designing for web media.

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>