[thelist] Shrink wrapping a div?

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Thu May 13 16:54:17 CDT 2004

I wrote:
-------------------------
--I am wanting to
> center a div of arbitrary width (depending on dynamic content), and give
it a
> border that just frames the content.  Doing this with a fixed-width div is
no
> problem, but I am trying to style for a div of unknown precise width.
>
> In days of yore, I would wrap a table around the content, give it
> align="center" and call it a day.  Well, for the border, there
> would be another table framing the first...
-------------------------
Christopher Mahan replied:

.a{
  text-align:center;
  }
.b{
  display: inline;
  border: 1px solid #ff0000
  }
-------------------------

Thanks for the reply, but that gives inconsistent results cross-browser.
The question is how to present a framing box around the content.  Setting
display: inline defeats that.  Oh well, I think I'll just have to set
margins on the outer div put a border on the inner one with display: block.
Was hoping for a more "contractive" effect rather than the regular
"expansive" nature of the div element.

Thanks again for the help!

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce