[thelist] Cold Fusion

Chris Hayes chris at londonweb.net
Fri May 14 12:27:21 CDT 2004

Pros:
Develop sites from scratch in a tenth the time of alternatives.
Highly intuitive for handling structures, arrays, XML, queries.
Query of Query !! How lazy could I be?  :)
Has become, with MX scalable for very large sites.
Has become, with MX really quite fast.  Script code is compiled and cached.
Sits on a J2EE platform.
CFMAIL, with dynamic queries. = =  5 mins for novice to write a sp @m
in-ator
(must be a bad thing no? :)
CF tags just make sense with HTML code.. it just looks loverly too.
Option to use script language if you really feel the tag-based code
inferior.
Programmer friendly errors.
Nice administration web interface.
CF Studio.... ie Homesite  for CF.
Training others to write in CF in a tenth the time of alternatives.
Can train a programming novice to program in a very short time.
It's easy.

Cons
Quality of programming  is down to the programmer. (see the pro: Can train a
programming novice to program in a very short time.)  You can really end up
with a pile of spaghetti if you're not careful.
Cost
It's too easy.

I am biased BTW;)

Whether the costs justify the benefits depends on a number of things, but
mostly what you plan to use it for.  What do you plan to use it for?