[thelist] Cold Fusion

Adrian Gonzales adrian at clearspanmedia.com
Fri May 14 20:54:11 CDT 2004

Joshua,

Good input!

>> Things like Custom Tags, CFC's, etc are all global to all hosted
sites.

I don't think that CFCs are global to the whole server, and if so, you
can make CFCs restrict their own access to components that list
themselves as extensions.

>> You cannot allow file manipulation only within the webroot

I'm almost positive that Sandbox Security in CFMX fixes that problem. If
not, you can disable CFFILE and CFDIRECTORY, then implement the CF_FILE
and CF_DIRECTORY custom tags. That goes back to what someone said about
work-arounds for bugs.

>> Datasources are accessible to all sites.. sure you can make it so
that each site needs to use a password to access the datasource, but
then you have to pass the password with each query...

Whats the difference between this and PHP? You have to give a
username/password to access the database anyway right? If you do things
right and make global parameters for that info, its not a big deal.

Granted, I know there are issues with using it in a shared hosting
environment, those are usually easily worked around. There have been a
lot of major upgrades with CFMX.

Adrian Gonzales Jr.
Creative Director
Clear Span Media