[thelist] PHP Framework? API? Not Sure

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sat May 15 03:25:08 CDT 2004

Hello:

   It just occurred to me while working on the third site in as many
weeks, that most of my code is becoming repetitive.  All of my current
sites have an admin backend, which has the usual login, password forgot
front page.  Then it enters into the backend which has a tabbed
interface, and a two column layout.  Its not because I'm lazy (well, I
am) -- but my clients all like the sample interfaces that I show them,
so its a matter of customizing the interface and adding the
product-specific features.

   Tasks in the admin interface are similar. View registered users,
email users, add admins, reset passwords.  Some reporting functionality
-- such as sales reports, top selling products, and in the most recent
one, a directory listing with the ability to add/remove records.

   What I have done to make life easy is created a "blank" template
website directory.  It contains all the images, layout, etc. -- all I do
is create the database (from a template sql file), and start customizing
my tab links, font faces, etc.

   So I'm now looking for an API or some framework that I can use to
reduce these repetitive tasks.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm
evaluating blueshoes[1] right now, and am also looking into Typo3[2]
(which seems to have a steep learning curve), and would welcome any
suggestions or comments.

--
Burhan

[1] http://www.blueshoes.org