[thelist] Inexpensive Intranet Group Calendering Solution?

the head lemur headlemur at lemurzone.com
Sat May 15 12:41:10 CDT 2004

> The software
> should allow any intranet user to view/add calendar events, including
> recurring events.

Add tasking in assigning tasks, with notification of completion.

I have been looking for this grail for about 9 months. It is either brain
dead, has way too much overhead either in setup, or maint. or in use.

I looked at local and web based solutions. One solution was harder to setup
than a a server. BlueTie.

One product that I have deployed is Pink Notes.
http://www.alphamedia.net/products/pnp/v40/index.htm

It is a robust messaging system, which does not have a calendar currently.
But it has a hell of a lot of features to recommend it as a solution for
intranet useage.
They are working on that, once they get out from under the lawsuit from IBM
over the word Notes as in Lotus.

If anybody develops something like what Bob and I both want, we can probably
sell a lot of it. Most businesses are small enough that we are having a hard
time wrestling a few thousand bucks for either websites, networking or
support.

<mini_rant>

Enabling little things like this helps small businesses grow, which will
help our businesses grow. It is true that this goes outside of the
HTML/Graphics windows, but when you think about it, we probably know more
about the capabilities of computers, operating systems and software than our
clients.

Recently there has been a trend toward collaboration and networking software
and hardware that should not be ignored.

Lord knows there has been thousands of messages about cluelessness, and
clients that don't get it. The vast majority of the messages are about our
failures to get the message across either through ignorance or arrogance.

The web biz has moved way beyond html, css, and 256 bit graphics. We are
enabling databases, messaging, chat, search, indexing, and even the odd
email links.

More and more software solutions are coming out as internet enabled and like
any other movement, he who has the most data, and can use it will win.

the head lemur

blog: http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/
Community: http://www.evolt.org