[thelist] Hosting for Dummies

Benjamin C. Varadi bvaradi at nlcnet.org
Thu May 20 11:52:54 CDT 2004

I'm a volunteer with a group that meets most of these criteria.  I
don't think we have any dogs on yet, but some of our initial users
have signed up their aged relatives.  LAMP environment, limited shell
access per user request and with good reason, CPANEL (www.cpanel.net)
allows users to handle almost all administration tasks on their own,
free installation of most open-source software packages. We don't have
a support phone number (our volunteers are geographically diverse),
but do offer support via IM & an emergency pager contact.

Added bonus:  you're helping others in their volunteer efforts- for
every commercial account that signs up, we host a nonprofit/community
group, free.  Also, if a user enters "EVOLT" as the promo code when
signing up, we'll donate 10% of that users payments to evolt, for
life.

Check out www.vesana.com

For what it's worth, we're in the black and have been running for just
over two years.  In the process of preparing an application for 501c3
nonprofit status.

Unfortunately, no plans for CF.

-BEN

--