[thelist] Automate zip?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu May 20 19:53:05 CDT 2004

Hi, please forgive me as I'm a total Windows idiot. I know next to
nothing.

I'd like to be able to automate the making of Windows .zip files, by
making it easier to zip up a directory and exclude certain files
automatically. It appears that if you buy the latest version of WinZip
you can download a command line utility that might be able to do this.
I would rather not have to ask anybody to buy something to accomplish
this, however.

To make matters worse, it would be nice if I could do some quick
editing of an XML file in the directory in question right before the
moment the directory is being zipped. Since the edit is always the same
(edit something out, then put it back after it's zipped) it ought to be
able to be automated, too.

Piece-o-cake on Unix. Haven't a clue on Windows. Suggestions?

Diane

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown