[thelist] Automate zip?

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Thu May 20 22:36:52 CDT 2004

Diane Soini wrote:
> Hi, please forgive me as I'm a total Windows idiot. I know next to nothing.
>
> I'd like to be able to automate the making of Windows .zip files, by
> making it easier to zip up a directory and exclude certain files
> automatically. It appears that if you buy the latest version of WinZip
> you can download a command line utility that might be able to do this. I
> would rather not have to ask anybody to buy something to accomplish
> this, however.
>
> To make matters worse, it would be nice if I could do some quick editing
> of an XML file in the directory in question right before the moment the
> directory is being zipped. Since the edit is always the same (edit
> something out, then put it back after it's zipped) it ought to be able
> to be automated, too.
>
> Piece-o-cake on Unix. Haven't a clue on Windows. Suggestions?

Anything that can be scripted on unix, can be scripted on Windows (ish).

I'd suggest looking at finding a scripting language that you know and
start from there.  In my case, I use PHP for a lot of my server scripts.
  This way, I did't have to learn a whole new language.

PHP will let even let you create the ZIP file without the use of an
external application if you use the available functions / classes.

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au