[thelist] Automate zip?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri May 21 00:37:23 CDT 2004

I don't know what version of Windows you are running, but there are heap of
freeware or shareware ZIP tools out there. You just want one that has a
command line interface (or exposes some kind of public interface(s))

http://www.camunzip.com/default.htm
appears to be free

caz.exe -aq c:\test.zip c:\test\*.*

will zip all the files in c:\test\*.* into a zip file called test.zip. Call
that from inside a batch file. For the XML stuff, MS has the MSXML classes
for manipulating XML files. You can navigate the heirachy to the node you
want and edit as required,

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Soini" <dianesoini at earthlink.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 10:53 AM
Subject: [thelist] Automate zip?

: Hi, please forgive me as I'm a total Windows idiot. I know next to
: nothing.
:
: I'd like to be able to automate the making of Windows .zip files, by
: making it easier to zip up a directory and exclude certain files
: automatically. It appears that if you buy the latest version of WinZip
: you can download a command line utility that might be able to do this.
: I would rather not have to ask anybody to buy something to accomplish
: this, however.
:
: To make matters worse, it would be nice if I could do some quick
: editing of an XML file in the directory in question right before the
: moment the directory is being zipped. Since the edit is always the same
: (edit something out, then put it back after it's zipped) it ought to be
: able to be automated, too.
:
: Piece-o-cake on Unix. Haven't a clue on Windows. Suggestions?
:
: Diane
: