[thelist] PHP Framework? API? Not Sure

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk david.landy at somerfield.co.uk
Fri May 21 04:47:26 CDT 2004

Burhan Khalid wrote:
>   It just occurred to me while working on the third site in as many
>weeks, that most of my code is becoming repetitive...

Agreed. Most front-ends I've worked on have a maintenance page for each
table to allow add/edit/del/undel/sort/find/filter, and a users section to
define users, groups and access rights.

>   So I'm now looking for an API or some framework that I can use to
>reduce these repetitive tasks.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Not for any commercial products -- I rolled my own. After building a working
prototype for a single table, I wrote a generator to write the remaining jsp
pages and supporting java classes, to to make a 3-Tier-MVC application.
Rather nifty, I thought! It's now relatively easy to add new tables and
reports (based on a query) -- just make the table/query and then hit the
button.

Hand-coded changes to the generated code are preserved as the generator
senses any changed pages and leaves them alone -- just cut and paste newly
generated code into touched-up pages to update them. My experience is that
this is usually a small fraction of the app so it's not a big hassle.

Perhaps I'm reinventing the wheel but at least I know what it's doing and if
there are any bugs it's easy (ok, easier!) to track them down. And the big
benefit is that next time I build a jsp site, the prototype will be up in a
matter of hours.

>I'm
>evaluating blueshoes[1] right now, and am also looking into Typo3[2]
>(which seems to have a steep learning curve), and would welcome any
>suggestions or comments.

Would love to hear how you got on.

David.

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
confidentiality of it and advise the sender immediately of any error in
transmission. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken, or
omitted to be taken, by an unauthorised recipient in reliance upon the
contents of this e-mail is prohibited. Somerfield cannot accept liability
for any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses so
please carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. In
replying to this e-mail you are granting the right for that reply to be
forwarded to any other individual within the business and also to be read by
others. Any views expressed by an individual within this message do not
necessarily reflect the views of Somerfield.  Somerfield reserves the right
to intercept, monitor and record communications for lawful business
purposes.