[thelist] How do you build dynamic pages?

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Mon May 24 13:18:18 CDT 2004

Hi,
Marcus already seems to have answered most of these new sets of
questions very well in his post :-) I will attempt the others.

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>>IMHO java application servers are a waste of money in most cases. I
>>read an article somewhere that 80% of the time they end up being
>>lowly old servlet containers.
>>

>Can you elaborate on this or point me to any reference material?
>We're going to be having a planning meeting for our next web site and
>I want to have all the information I can. For this particular site,
>truly it is a servlet container for the most part. We do have 2 lead
>forms that are processed, with a Zip code lookup - nothing big
>happening there. No ecom.

Ref marcus's post. I am sorry but i did not save the article i referred to.

>>/ExtraDir/ is not always needed.
>>

>Can you point me to a reference on how to get rid of it?

If you are using an IDE it will ask you where you want your files
placed. If not you could always edit the deployment descriptor manually.
It should also be noted that if you are not using a path name to
identify each web app individually you may need to use virtual hosting.
But as marcus has pointed out asking your sysadmin to do this would be
your easy way out.

>>For static pages you are right to question the logic of this
>>approach. It would be far less expensive to generate the html once
>>using your script and 'export it' to the web server.
>>

>I'm not sure which 'script' you mean here. You mean the dispatcher
>scripts? Or have them export all the HTML pages at build time and
>have them reside on the web server called direct?

I am not really talking about using dispatcher scripts. I was refering
to generating the HTML once and only once and saving that generated html
on your webspace.

>There were parts of struts that seemed overly complicated - and I've
>never been a fan of tag libraries either. It's just more jargon
>stuffing up your head. PHP isn't an option here, we are full blown
>J2EE and/or M$/ASP - and no .net.
>
>The stuff I'll be tackling over the next year are brand web sites
>being redesigned that generally have no ecom capability other than
>lead forms and zip lookups. I just want to build them as efficiently
>and 'correctly' as possible given what we have. I as an interaction
>designer/UI guy am not going to make the engineering team shift to a
>new technology. But if I can show a better way to do things...

Again I am going to wear a shoot me t-shirt:
Too bad PHP is not an option, because this kind of stuff can be very
very easily handled with PHP

--
Raditha Dissanayake.