[thelist] How do you build dynamic pages?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon May 24 14:03:24 CDT 2004

raditha dissanayake wrote:

> I am not really talking about using dispatcher scripts. I was refering
> to generating the HTML once and only once and saving that generated html
> on your webspace.

Uh, that's what servlet containers do -- they compile a JSP into
a servlet *once* (unless it's changed, and the Context is marked
as reloadable="true") and save it. It's not dynamically generated
for each request. So for static pages this is kind of a non-issue.

> Too bad PHP is not an option, because this kind of stuff can be very
> very easily handled with PHP

It can be very easily handled with servlets/JSP, as well, assuming
the developers 1) know what they're doing, and 2) care. :-)

Honestly, if the whole issue is SE-friendly URLs -- it sounds like
what's required is *putting SE-friendly URLs into the spec* for the
developers, and leaving them to figure it out. Eh?

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.