[thelist] How do you build dynamic pages?

lists lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon May 24 14:57:15 CDT 2004

Hi Tom,

2. Re shared connection pools - are you using IIS 5?  One of the changes in
IIS 6 is ability to to run independent application pools and worker
processes. So, an upgrade could render that use of the application server
unnecessary although you'll still have to use an application server to serve
up application requests (caveat: I'm more familiar with .NET than JSP so
there are probably some differences in my perspective on how IIS interacts
with application servers since .NET is integrated into IIS).

2. Re: extra directory homepage filenames:
It sounds like you need url rewriting. If you were using Apache, you'd use
mod_rewrite. The IIS equivalent is ISAPI, but ISAPI filters (filter=mod_)
for url rewriting are not free ($70ish). Another alternative would be to
rewrite the urls programmatically.

ISAPI url rewrite products
http://www.jdhodges.com/log/1309
http://www.isapirewrite.com/

3. Re: dispatcher - seems like a good idea to me - essentially, the
dispatcher is the Controller in the MVC model. Even though static pages
don't do anything, they are componentized into header/footer/menu and
content and then dynamically generated by request - it just isn't
interactive with the website visitor.

hth
-chris
http://www.semioticpixels.com