[thelist] How do you build dynamic pages?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon May 24 15:26:02 CDT 2004

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> In a perfect world... :). What about when you give the engineers the
> end-state and they question you at every step?

Take a large mackerel to the next meeting and `SWOP!!` -- OK, a
little corporate fantasy there :-)  I know where you're coming
from, and it's a common problem.

But someone owns the success or failure of the site, and if that
hinges on good search engine ratings, that owner should be saying
"make it so". And you can certainly ask if the company is better
served by URLs like
     example.com/SomeFoo/baffle.jsp?d=islands&type=tropical&i=Jamaica
or
     example.com/islands/tropical/Jamaica

Meanwhile, when the developers start their "we've always done it
this way" yadda-yadda dance, just roll your eyes and say "that is
*so* twentieth century" :-)

> That's why I'm trying to be more informed on my end so I can at least
> ask some intelligent questions and get them to rethink or justify
> their positions.

Go get 'em, and best of luck!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.