[thelist] Explorer like tree?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Wed May 26 18:00:07 CDT 2004

At 23:35 on Wednesday, 26 May 2004, Marcus Andersson wrote:

> Simon Perry wrote:
>
>> Surely you can recycle those images, you can even take things one step
>> further and use one image with all you icons on it. This approach was
>> started of by pixy's Fast rollovers[0]
>
> How does that help to reuse images in IE (which is the primary and
> perhaps only target browser)? I would really like to know.
>
> I've done some testing on image reuse with IE6 and I can't preload
> (well, I can preload but when I try to use it it goes to the server and
> reloads anyway) and I can't clone images with DOM because it goes down
> to the server to get the image again (checked with web server logs).
> It's pretty funky actually... not! If someone can show a way to get
> around this I would be more than happy. The same goes for when you have
> background-images and change class (which might even have the same
> background-image), down to the server again and now you probably will
> have some cool flickering as well (the fast rollovers might help with
> this but not in all cases I think). MS seems to think that caching is a
> *really bad* idea!!!

Have you checked that youhaven't changed from the default "automatic"
check for newer versions of stored pages to "every visit to the page"?  we
web people tend to do that to make sure we're seeing our changes, forget
we've done it and then wonder why IE isn't caching.

Tools: temporary Internet files: settings

It will also throw up oddities when the cache gets full.

hth

Tony