[thelist] Explorer like tree?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed May 26 19:38:40 CDT 2004

IE follows all the normal rules on expiry, and caching directives. I would
verify the expiry and caching directives sent by the server to the client
for those images.

Also, you should still expect to see, perhaps a 304 Not Modified in the
webserver logs if the expiry time has passed, and the image is cached.

Lastly, HTTP expiry/caching directives can be overriden by the user in their
IE preferences.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus Andersson" <marcus at bristav.se>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Explorer like tree?

: Simon Perry wrote:
:
: > Surely you can recycle those images, you can even take things one step
: > further and use one image with all you icons on it. This approach was
: > started of by pixy's Fast rollovers[0]
:
: How does that help to reuse images in IE (which is the primary and perhaps
only target browser)? I would
: really like to know.
:
: I've done some testing on image reuse with IE6 and I can't preload (well,
I can preload but when I try to use
: it it goes to the server and reloads anyway) and I can't clone images with
DOM because it goes down to the
: server to get the image again (checked with web server logs). It's pretty
funky actually... not! If someone
: can show a way to get around this I would be more than happy. The same
goes for when you have
: background-images and change class (which might even have the same
background-image), down to the server again
: and now you probably will have some cool flickering as well (the fast
rollovers might help with this but not
: in all cases I think). MS seems to think that caching is a *really bad*
idea!!!
:
:
: > and expanded on in an article on
: > alistapart CSS Sprites[1]. The javascript to control the menu should
: > also be quite straight forward if you use the DOM[2] to transverse your
: > nested lists adding the events and behaviors you require. I would create
: > a static CSS styled tree first
:
: This won't be used on "normal" web sites but in a "rich client" where
there is extensive scripting going on so
: it's not really an issue here. The tree, the html of it, will probably be
rendered with XSLT on the client
: (ideally that is, the current tree is rendered this way, it's not
impossible to change my mind though) since I
: want to do filtering on the XML data that is visualized, and then I just
listen for every mouse event in the
: tree from a containing element and decides what to do with the help of the
srcElement in the event object (or
: target if Moz).
:
: Btw, since you talked about building the tree with DOM, did you know that
it's much faster to create a large
: tree as a string of HTML and insert it with innerHTML in IE than to use
the DOM? I did some tests and the
: differences are quite remarkable and I tested to both build and insert
small chunks of nodes as you walked
: along and to build larger chunks and insert (some "guru" on MSDN claims
that it's faster to insert small
: chunks of nodes often than to insert large chunks few times). It was a
while ago but I think it was a
: difference of factor 5 or something like that. Using DOM in IE is slower
than in Moz but using innerHTML in IE
: is a lot faster. Strange. But everything else is better in Moz (almost
anyway, I wish SVG were standard (I use
: VML in IE and quite like it) and that the XSLT engine was a little
better).
:
: /Marcus
: --
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !
: