[thelist] CC Processing for Theater?

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu May 27 07:58:26 CDT 2004

Hi, All,

   All this discussion about David's "Store in a Week" request made me think
of one of my own sites, which is small community theater non-profit.[1] We
put on shows, and also offer classes in the arts. We've never offered
on-line tickets or class registration, just because I'm not very
finance-minded and have never gotten around to researching our CC processing
options, and the financial people are not sufficiently technical to do the
same. Actually, I've started researching a few times, but have been quickly
overwhelmed and retreated back into the familiarity of programming.

   The nature of this processing will be a little different from stores,
however. Instead of a relatively stable inventory, we have what you might
call highly transitory offerings. Tickets for a show might go on sale 6
weeks out, but end of course once the show is over. There are usually a
dozen or so performances of each show, which I guess is sort of like
different flavors of a product. Plus, we would have to somehow integrate
on-line sales with reservations made by calling the box office. The two
other major offerings would be on-line class registration, which will also
tend to be about a 6-week period at the beginning of each session, and of
course the ability to make a donation of any size at any time.

   I guess I could google for keywords "theater credit card processing", and
I promise I will do that. Beyond that, does anyone have some tips for what
kind of system I should be looking for? Buzzwords? Particular companies
you've used that would be compatible? I suppose whatever we do, we will need
to get a security certificate, right?

[1] http://www.schoolhousearts.org/

John Brooking, Application Developer
Sappi Fine Paper
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity