[thelist] Automate zip?

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu May 27 10:11:16 CDT 2004

>> I'd like to be able to automate the making of Windows .zip files,
>> Piece-o-cake on Unix. Haven't a clue on Windows. Suggestions?

FWIW you can also do this in perl (with the Archive::Zip module). For
example, I've written a little script that has come in handy on many
projects that simply accepts a text file of filenames and creates a zip
file containing them. That advantage of rolling your own zip tool is
that you can support things like filters and wildcards, and more
precisely control the output filename etc.
In this case, I optionally prepend all the paths with a string the user
passes in so you can have it all unpack into a new directory (e.g
052704_deliverable/*.* )

That is to say, yet again perl could be your friend here :)

Sam