[thelist] semantic markup

lancelot lancelot at noblocodenotas.com
Thu May 27 09:23:17 CDT 2004

Diane wrote:

> Every now and then a question about semantic markup comes up and it
> makes me wonder about something.

yup!

> It's all the rage right now to write semantic markup, but for the most
> part, semanitic markup was invented to describe prose documents.

absolutely

>And what we are creating is often something more akin to a user interface.
> So why then do we have to drive ourselves nuts trying to style, for
> example, <li> tags with CSS (probably one of the most difficult
> elements to style consistently across browsers) just to make a user
> interface navigation bar? (Or the image with the caption problem, for
> another example.)

This is something I, myself, don't quite get either.

> The thing that really bugs me with <li> tags is that for browsers such
> as Lynx that do not use the CSS, you get a vertical list of links
> rather than the horizontal bar of buttons you really intend--and what
> is actually more convenient for the user in my opinion. It's a
> horizontal navigation _bar_, not a vertical bullet list!

totally agreed upon that!

> I sure wish there was some markup to address what these web pages
> really are, which is a user interface with, possibly, a prose document
> in the middle of it. Guess XML will solve this someday.

Sure, Diane, the fact is that everything is useful and everithing is not,
what REALLY counts is the function and the time, by that I mean the purpose
that anything we do, might have in a determined context and, mind you, ONLY
in THAT context, rather than in another.

best wishes!

Paolo Dodet
http://www.noblocodenotas.com

---