[thelist] wild characters & htaccess

Fortune Elkins fortune_elkins at summithq.com
Thu May 27 14:42:34 CDT 2004

hiya!

i'm thinking of moving my blog and creating a better architecture. but cleaning up all those old links even in DW with massive search & replace would be a pain. thus, i'm thinking of the fabulous .htaccess file.

blogger writes to just a generic archives directory. when i started the blog, i wasn't smart enough to create a yearly folder and stuff my archives for each year into it. so now i have tons of archive files that need to be redirected into neat nice annualized folders: archive2000, archive2001, etc.

this process will be totally easy if in the htaccess file i can use wildcards, so people can get to these files transparently in their new locations. something like:
Redirect  permanent /archives/2002_*.html   http://newsite.com/archive2002/2002_*.html
i've seen lots of tutorials on the redirect, (http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml) but nothing seems to address the wild character issue. . .

it would just save me from re-doing thousands of interdocument links. i hope.

please advise,

The views and opinions expressed in this email message are
the sender's own, and do not necessarily represent the views
and opinions of Summit Systems Inc.  This message has been
checked for viruses but the receiver should not depend upon
this and should perform their own virus check.  This message
may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is
intended for the named recipient(s) only.  If you are not a named
recipient, do not use, copy, transmit or otherwise disclose the
contents of this message.  Please inform the sender promptly
of your receipt of this message.