[thelist] cropping images or photography

Seyon evolt at delime.com
Fri May 28 09:15:37 CDT 2004

Message from A Manes (5/28/2004 10:25 AM)
>Here is one for the photoshops wizzrds or photgraphy experts :)  Having
>spent some time trying to get the white background 'white' correct so
>that the subject is sitting on an exactly white background I am not
>having too much success, is it possible to easily place the image onto a
>white background without distorting the white in the subject image
>(which is eactly what is happening) or can anyone point me in the
>diretion of a really god way to setup the perfect light surrounds for
>digital photography?

If you've already got a "white" background that's just a little off for
exposure or lighting reasons use the Curves tool.

Create a new adjustment layer (Layer -> New -> Adjustment Layer)
Choose the right-most dropper in the pop-up box (the one that looks white)
Click on an area of the background you want to assign as white

All done.

This works best if you've got an evenly coloured background, of course.
Some other things you can do are to use a layer mask as Thomas mentioned,
so that your Curves only affect the background rather than the subject.

 From a getting it right initially standpoint, you could try manually
setting the white balance in your camera if it's got that feature. And to
get clean even lighting you'd need two light sources, either two lights or
one light and a white reflective object on the other side to fill in the
shadows. Note, you can use regular tungsten bulbs even though they give a
yellowish tint if you set your white balance to compensate.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/