[thelist] SQL Server - TimeStamp

David Mitchell dave at dbmdata.com
Tue Jun 1 11:01:49 CDT 2004

A SQL Server timestamp does not actually hold a date/time value.. From
the SQL Server BOL:

"The Transact-SQL timestamp data type is not the same as the timestamp
data type defined in the SQL-92 standard. The SQL-92 timestamp data type
is equivalent to the Transact-SQL datetime data type."

It's a binary number managed by SQL Server.