[thelist] Yahoo! Groups

ZoidBeg Khan nbv.sa at lsinter.net
Tue Jun 1 13:06:45 CDT 2004

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a listserv that can handle:
>
> 1. A shared calendar for forthcoming meetings, updateable by multiple admins
> and searchable by all visitors to the site, and
>
> 2. Email sub-groups (eg emailing to "all", or "south-west england", or
> "group leaders", or "regional coordinators", etc).
>
> I thought of using a Yahoo! group but last time I looked they couldn't
> handle subgroups.

You didn't say is it a discussion or newsletter type mailing list. Also,
very important is how many subscribers do you have. If it is discussion
list, PHP or any other scripting language can't handle it. You will have
to use some dedicated mailing list software for Linux (I prefer GNU
Mailman, but I heard EZMLM is also great). They can handle thousands of
subscribers. This mailing lists is discussion type, and it is powered by
Mailman.

If you looking for newsletter type mailing list (only you can send to
the list through web interface, or persons that you authorize), than
PHP/MySQL will be your best choice (if you don t have few thousands
subscribers, or if you don't have very strong server). You can find some
OpenSource software that can be adapted to do what you expect. I have
created something similar few months ago. Only difference is that they
didn't need 'sub-groups' but a few totally different groups, but with
same people subscribed. Off course, that can be changed, so you can have
subgroups.

If, you need any help, do contact me.