[thelist] CVS/SCM System for Webdevelopment

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) Christopher.Johnson at mto.gov.on.ca
Wed Jun 2 09:41:30 CDT 2004

Subversion should fit the bill for what you are looking for, and you can't
beat the price. In addition, it comes with GUI clients for both Linux and
Windows. The only downside - and this is a small downside - is that, because
it is fairly new, application support is minimal. By application support I
mean being able to access and utilize subversion from within IDEs without
having to fire up a separate application.

As for Ant, this is a Java build program. This would work in conjuction with
Subversion. Once someone downloaded, 'checked out', the source they would
use Ant to build the website. Where I work, this is what we use to build and
assemble j2ee web apps. If you have any form of non-trivial java based
application then you should probably be looking to use Ant.

chris